Friday 13 January 2012

THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX ovvero PENSANDO FUORI DAGLI SCHEMI

In my years here I've noticed MANY things, good and bad, to compare to life in other countries. I claim to be seeing this country from the point of view of a Texan, but I actually lived all over the world as a child due to my family's line of work.

I've also lived in other US states as an adult, though not for as long as I lived in Texas. So, I guess I'm not TECHNICALLY a Texan, though I'll claim it.

Today I had to explain to my 9 year old on the way to school why there are no lockers, shelves or cubbies in Italian schools. It's easy to just say "E' così, e basta," meaning, more or less, "That's life, drop it." But I WANT her to see that life doesn't always come with one perspective, so I tried to explain the "seeing/thinking outside of the box" idea to her.


I explained that many people here find comfort in their boxes--in their four walls and floor and ceiling--and that to take a peek outside would scare them. Anything new, modern or different can be scary, even if it is proven to be useful, easy, safer and more economical. But there is no real sense of enterprise here, no need for risk or personal challenge, so it's easier to stay in the box and peek out, all the while complaining that life isn't as good as you wish.

It is a very sad situation, and I don't know how many other countries are afflicted with this mentality, but it could cause the ruin of a nation. It's 2012, and time to roll with the changes. It's not time to put a fast food restaurant on every corner, or to wear pajamas and bunny slippers to the mall. It's not time to have ten credit cards for every family and wrack up debt buying stuff you don't need with money you don't have. These are not ideals that need to be taken out of America. Keep that shit there. I understand.

But Italia needs to OPEN UP mentally and put itself back in the running with other developed countries.

Open up the box and get out.


No comments:

Post a Comment